Sunday, May 10, 2009

Seek first to understand!


Why is it that people like to be able to fit everything into a category, a stereotype, a "box"? As if anything could fit neatly into these categories we create! I was thinking about some today and trying to see where I fit in. It seems that I don't fit anywhere exactly. I might match a quality or two and then it all washes down the drain at some point. For example, I am not what you would call a "city girl" (at all), but then I also don't have the know-how of a "country girl" either (though I would enjoy learning). I am definitely not your typical "girly girl" (by far), but I wouldn't call myself a "tomboy" either. I am not shy (usually), but then I am also not extremely talkative (usually). I don't like boxes! People can never fit perfectly into some broad stereotype and yet we try to read people as if there were a formula based on some superficial quality they possess. Shouldn't we instead listen and seek to understand people rather than group them with others who SEEM like them?

No comments:

Post a Comment